What if my ILL item is Overdue, Lost or Damaged?

We rely on the generosity of other libraries. You, the borrower, are financially responsible for any damage to or loss of interlibrary loan materials from the time you pick them up until you return them to the library. Please return or renew on time. There is a $1.00 per day/per book overdue charge, which includes renewal after the due date.

Should any damage occur, report it to the Interlibrary Loan office. Do not attempt to repair it yourself.

If the item is lost, please report it to the Interlibrary Loan office.

How can an ILLiad account be set up?

We prefer that libraries making requests to borrow from our collections use the ILLiad system. Any institution that does not use OCLC or DOCLINE for its online requesting may submit requests for loans through an institutional ILLiad account. Please call our office at (406) 994-3161, e-mail or go here and then click on the First Time Users button to create a Borrowing Library Account.

How do I save my file?

Once you’ve received your document and are viewing it in Acrobat Reader, all you need to do is select the File option from the pull down menu and choose Save As. Type in a filename which relates to the actual document and be sure to include the .PDF extension so that Acrobat Reader will recognize the file type should you wish to view the document again.

It is suggested that you save any downloaded file prior to printing.

Please keep in mind that it is against copyright law to make or forward copies of articles to others. It also tends to gobble up considerable amounts of hard drive space by keeping old documents around. A good practice may be to delete any documents once your papers or classes are finished.

How much will it cost and what methods of payment are accepted?

Domestic non-reciprocal loans and copies: $15.00 (DocLine charge is $10.00), Foreign loans: $25.00, Foreign copies: $15.00. IFM or EFTS preferred or invoiced monthly after ship date. Electronic deposit is accepted (please ask for instructions). Credit card (Visa or Mastercard) payment IS accepted. IFLA vouchers also accepted.

Service may be suspended for failure to pay for ILL loans or photocopies.

What items in the Montana State University collection are non-circulating?

  • Any item from Special Collections (a copy might be an option)
  • All non-newspaper microfilm and current 5 years of newspapers on microfilm
  • Most recent 5 years periodicals
  • All language programs on CD
  • Reference (photocopy up to 30 pages can be provided)
  • Reserves (photocopy up to 30 pages can be provided)
  • Maps with Map Case as location
  • Audio books