MSU Libraries rolled out their new website on December 17, 2007! Let us know what you think.
The Libraries will begin a phased reopening on Thursday (1/31/08). We sincerely appreciate the concern expressed by so many students and faculty over the last two days.
- Circulation Desk and Reference Desk will be up and running.
- Computers on the second floor will be available.
- Third floor study area around the fountain will be open
- Fourth floor will be open
- Third floor dormer and group room area will remain closed
- Special Collections is closed
- Most of the raised part of first floor (including the still wet computer area) will be roped off
- Parts of second floor with damp or rippled carpet will be roped off
We hope to have move computers available by Thursday afternoon. Open/Closed areas may shift as workmen move through the building.
We also recognize the hard work and quick response of over 70 committed people from the libraries, facilities services, custodial services, and so many more who responded to this emergency. We apologize for the obvious inconvenience of a closed library and are delighted to welcome students back into the building.
–Tamara Miller, Dean of Libraries
A frozen pipe in the second floor study alcove (west side of building) burst January 29, 2008 at around 7 am.
- Books on second floor are mostly unaffected
- Special Collections remains dry
- First floor stacks and reference collection are wet
- Some Deweys and oversize books are also wet
- CR1, reference offices, circulation, the basement, and the lobby all took on water
On Tuesday, January 22, 2008, a sprinkler system pipe burst due to the cold weather. Flooding from this broken pipe damaged a section of Special Collections, third floor study rooms, offices on the second floor, and some other parts of the Renne Library. Special Collections and the third floor study rooms will be closed until further notice. For information regarding Special Collections, please contact reference at 994-3171, for information about the study rooms, contact Circulation at 994-3139.